Idaho sr22 and dui insurance

Idaho SR22 Insurance – In order to get your  Idaho driver’s license reinstated it will probably require an Idaho SR22 certificate filed with the Idaho DMV. This SR-22 form will show the state you are insured to state minimum limits which will provide financial support in the event of an accident.


How do I get an Idaho SR-22 filed?


It is easy to get an SR22 filed with the state DMV:

  1. Ask your current insurance company to add an SR22 to your auto policy. If you don’t have insurance then find a company that fits your budget. Our free service can help you find a cheap sr22 insurance policy just enter your zip code in the box above.
  2. Once the insurance company adds the SR22 to your auto insurance they will submit the filing to the state.
  3. The state will send you a letter once the filing is received and your all set.

What if I let the SR22 policy cancel early?


It is in your best interest to maintain the financial responsibility   filing for the duration of your suspension period. If you let the SR-22 policy lapse or cancel prior to the end of your suspension your license will be suspended and your period will start over.

Idaho Liability Insurance Requirements


The state of Idaho requires liability insurance to protect other drivers in the event of an accident. The minimum limits are:

  • $25k Per Person Bodily Injury
  • $50k Per Accident Bodily Injury
  • $15k Property Damage

While these limits are minimum they are rarely recommended levels of coverage. Ask your insurance agent what they recommend based on your financial position.

Suspended License Information and Reinstatement


The state can suspend your license for many different factors but here is a list of the most common:

  • Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI)
  • Leaving the scene of an accident you were involved   in
  • Driving with suspended license
  • Failure to have auto insurance
  • Failure to pay child support
  • 12 points or more on driving record

To get your license reinstated you must apply to the Idaho Transportation Department and pay the reinstatement fee of $25 to $285. Depending on the nature of the suspension your reinstatement fee will vary but you will also be required to show proof of Idaho SR22 insurance (future financial responsibility).

Idaho is a member of the Driver License Compact which helps enforce laws in other states. Basically each state in the compact must report actions on out-of-state drivers to their licensing state. This means if you are caught driving drunk in Idaho but you are licensed in Colorado the state will share this information.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI) in Idaho


If you are operating a motor vehicle in Idaho while intoxicated you are subject to arrest and other fines. To ensure safe operation of a vehicle make sure your blood alcohol concentration is below the following level:

All Drivers: BAC LIMIT = 0.08%
Minor Drivers (under age 21) – BAC LIMIT = 0.02%
Commercial Drivers – BAC LIMIT = 0.04%

Implied Consent Law in ID


If you refuse to submit a chemical test in Idaho these are the following penalties:

  • First Refusal of Test – $250 fine, temporary   license issued, if convicted in court your license will be revoked for one year
  • Second Refusal of Test – Drivers license revoked for 2 years if convicted and within 10 years of the first

Driving drunk in Idaho potentially can cost you thousands of dollars in fines and increased insurance premiums. The first conviction can include jail time up to 6 months and a fine up to $1000. In addition to your license being suspended for 90 to 180 days the state can also require you to attend an alcohol evaluation and treatment process.

Required to get an Ignition Interlock Device?


Here is a list of certified providers in Idaho:

  • Draeger Safety Diagnostics, Inc – 800-332-6858
  • Consumer Safety Technology, Inc – 877-777-5020
  • Lifesafer Interlock, Inc – 800-531-0006
  • Interceptor Ignition Interlocks, Inc – 800-215-1007

If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call: 877-949-7873 or 855-GET-SELECT (855-438-7353). One of our licensed agents will help you right away.